The centerpiece of the City’s park lands is the highly acclaimed Odell Park, renowned as one of the most beautiful parks of its kind in Canada.
Among the many distinguishing features of this 400 acre park are a duck pond, arboretum and botanical garden. Encompassing 400 acres in the heart of the City, Odell Park’s ambiance contributes much to Fredericton’s reputation as a “last surviving hometown of America”.
Here, amid woodlands and fields that once formed the estate of Reverend Jonathan Odell, people find space to play and commune with nature in all seasons of the year.
The Odell family called their vast estate Rookwood, a name which today survives on the avenue leading to Odell Park’s main entrance. Officially proclaimed in 1954, the park has been enhanced with lawns, duck ponds and a multi-purpose visitors centre which the Queen Mother opened in 1967.