The L.P. Fisher Public Library is one of the Town of Woodstock’s prized community assets. Situated at 679 Main Street in the heart of town. It was designed and constructed early in the 20th century by Lewis Peter Fisher (1821 – 1905). Fisher was a lawyer, mayor and the town of Woodstock’s greatest benefactor. He was elected mayor in 1856, year the town was incorporated. He held the office for 24 consecutive years. In his will, he bequeathed most of his wealth to the town, stating that the funds were to be used to promote education. Today, the L. P. Fisher Public Library continues to serve its original function.
In the early 21st century, the L.P. Fisher Public Library is both a heritage building owned by the town and a busy working library, part of the provincial library system. An expansion known as the Thompson Centre was added to the back of the building in 2014. This is now the main entrance into the library.
The library also houses two specialized collections: the local historical and genealogical reference books and manuscripts of the W.O. Raymond Room, and the Dalton Camp Canadiana Collection, both named for and in part provided by writers whose roots were in Woodstock.