The Village of Gagetown was originally named Grimrose by the Acadians and Maliseet, who lived here prior to the Expulsion of the Acadians. The Raid on Grimross occurred during the St. John River Campaign (1758–59). During the Expulsion of the Acadians many of them had fled from various parts of the Maritimes to villages along the St. John River. The St. John River Campaign occurred during the French and Indian War when Colonel Robert Monckton led a force of 1150 British soldiers to destroy the Acadian settlements on the banks of the St. John River until they reached the largest village of Ste Anne’s Point (present day Fredericton) in February 1759. There were 2000 Acadians on the St. John River, many of whom were refugees trying to escape the Expulsion of the Acadians.
The name of the village is derived from British General Sir Thomas Gage. Major General Thomas Gage was granted a large tract of land in central New Brunswick in appreciation of his service to the British Empire in the Seven Years’ War; this land comprises modern day Gagetown.
The Village of Gagetown is an historic Loyalist community that served as a stop for river boats during the 1800s and early 1900s.
For more information on the Village of Gagetown, click here.