The Founders monument was erected in 1971 during the centenary celebrations of the parish. It is written: “Tribute to the Founders Here was celebrated the first Mass by Bishop Richard in 1871 on the property of Mr. Clement Daigle”.
The first church built by Bishop Marcel-François Richard was in Acadieville. This small church built in June 1873 is today’s chapel. Bishop Richard built, it is said, fourteen others.
This is where Mgr. Richard celebrated a first mass, in 1873, in a house of lumber, thecnew home of Clement Daigle and Ludivine Goguen. The first Mass in Acadieville was celebrated in the house of round woods or flanked by Mr. Dominique Gallant in 1871. It was on the site of this monument that he announced to the parishioners the construction of a church in March 1873. This church was built the same year just north of the current church on the other side of the creek. It was the very first church built by Mgr. Mr. F. Richard. It still exists, it is part of the current church and now serves as a chapel.
Acadieville Cemetery dating from 1880 contains a lot of genealogical information.
In 1868, the establishment of the new parish of Acadieville was enough to make many young people in Saint-Louis and the surrounding area dream. Indeed, at that time, people who already owned land in the area were reluctant to divide them and their children had no choice but to go to the States to earn a living or to remain under the same roof as their parents. Acadieville was the perfect opportunity for these young people to have fertile land close to their relatives and friends.
In addition, it was predicted that the construction of a railroad linking Montreal and Halifax would most likely be in the middle of the new parish, very close to the present church. Acadieville would be the envy of the surrounding parishes who wanted to see the railroad pass home. The people of Saint-Louis, encouraged by the promise of the Intercolonial, this great project of the Canadian confederation, welcomed the idea of colonizing new farmland and thus avoid the fragmentation of their farms.
In 1868, a group of people from St. Louis asked the provincial government to give them concessions under the Free Grant Act, a new law passed in the spring that allowed people to obtain land from the Crown. The application was accepted and in the same year, Surveyor J. G. Layton drew up the Acadieville Concession Land Plan and Mr. Urbain Johnson was appointed Lands Officer.
On December 8, 1868, feast day of the Immaculate Conception, the future settlers celebrated with their parents and friends their departure for the new lands. They left the next day to draw a path and build a bridge over the Grand Kagebuguette River, now called the Kouchibouguac River. Some of them will spent the winter, the others returned to St. Louis the following spring. Mr. Urbain Johnson did everything to encourage the new colony and a second group of people soon joined the first. Mr. Urbain Johnson was elected to the provincial government in 1869.
However, the Intercolonial never went to Acadieville. In 1869, the new federal government decided that it would be much more economical to move the railroad further west and several settlers would later choose to move closer to the new route.
Click on a thumbnail to see more photos.
This post has already been read 1034 times!Follow Us on Social Media