Born in New York in 1771, John Wolhaupter was a master craftsman specializing in watchmaking, clockmaking, and silversmithing. He tied the knot with Mary Payne Aycrigg in 1795. Their property was confiscated during the revolution due to their loyalist convictions, prompting a relocation to New Brunswick between 1795 and 1799. Wolhaupter set up a jewelry and clockmaking business in Saint John, earning a name as a silversmith. The family moved to Fredericton around 1811, launched another shop, and ultimately, in 1825, passed the business to their eldest son, Benjamin Wolhaupter, born in 1800.
In 1820, Benjamin Wolhaupter wed Catherine Brannen and built a residence at 97 Church Street, fondly called “Beauregard.” Later, the property was sold to Bishop Medley, and it came to be known as Bishopscote. Benjamin wore multiple hats, serving as a York County Magistrate, participating in the militia, and assuming a director’s role at the Commercial Bank of New Brunswick.
In 1847, Benjamin became the Sheriff of York County, a position he held until his demise in 1857. Benjamin and Catherine Wolhaupter were survived by three sons: James, Charles, and George.
Born in 1825, Charles John Wolhaupter opted for a career in education, spent seven years in Australia, returned to New Brunswick, and met a tragic end in a drowning accident in 1858.
George Philip Wolhaupter, born in 1827, held a clerical position in the Surveyor-General’s office and earned an engineering degree from King’s College, Fredericton, in 1854. He served as the organist and choirmaster at Christ Church Cathedral and was recognized for his wildflower collection and artistic talent in designing programs for Cathedral services. He wed Harriett Amelia Carman in 1858, and their son, Benjamin, arrived in 1859. Following George’s passing in 1860, his wife and son moved to Sarnia, Ontario. Gifted with remarkable mechanical abilities, Benjamin Wolhaupter carved a career as an engineer specializing in railway tracks. He was granted 215 patents for his inventions, achieving success as a manufacturer and businessman, and breathed his last in Norwalk, Connecticut, in 1949.
In 1905, the property was bought by William T. Whitehead, who quickly embarked on an extensive remodel of the previously simple five-bay Georgian house. Additions included a verandah, dormers, and a cylindrical corner bay, along with significant changes to the window openings that incorporated extensive stained glass decorations, all reflective of the popular Queen Anne style of that era.
This post has already been read 3210 times!