The Beaverbrook Art Gallery is a public art gallery in Fredericton. It is named after Max Aitken, Lord Beaverbrook, who funded the building of the gallery. Beaverbrook had spent his childhood and youth in New Brunswick and after he became a wealthy press baron in England he made many gifts to the province. The Beaverbrook Art Gallery, which opened in 1959 when its founder was 80 years old, was to be the last of these gifts. The Beaverbrook Art Gallery is New Brunswick’s officially designated provincial art gallery.
In 2009 a sculpture garden was inaugurated adjacent to the Beaverbrook Art Gallery. The first sculpture to be commissioned was “The Birth of Venus” by New Brunswick Acadian artist André Lapointe. It was commissioned by the Gallery and the City of Fredericton to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Gallery and the designation of Fredericton as a “Cultural Capital of Canada”.
One of the other sculptures in the garden is “INBHIRNiS COSMIC FISH, 2005”, a gift from John Greer, the artist.
In 2012 the Gallery received a $300,000 donation from Toronto-Dominion Bank to support the initiative, which was named the TD Sculpture Garden.
This post has already been read 2157 times!