264 Botsford Street Moncton, otherwise known as the Brown-Holder Building, is designated a Local Historic Place for its association with its founders, Fred M. Brown and Surrey L. Holder, and their company, Brown-Holder Biscuits Ltd.
Fred M. Brown and Surrey L. Holder, the former superintendent and secretary-treasurer, respectively, of J. A. Marven’s Ltd. left this firm to engage in their own biscuit venture.
Considering that the establishment of the new firm and construction of the factory at 264 Botsford Street occurred at the height of the Great Depression in 1931, this was considered a bold endeavour.
Despite initial hardships, Brown-Holder Biscuits Ltd. would become one the largest independent biscuit manufacturer in the Maritimes. They remained in operation until 1973 under the watchful eye of Fred Brown’s son, Harold Brown, who took over the company after his father’s death in 1951.
This post has already been read 3350 times!