This splendid Victorian mansion, located at 230 University Avenue in Fredericton, was built in 1875 by Harry Beckwith, commissioner of the New Brunswick & Nova Scotia Land Company.
Like his father, John A. Beckwith, Harry would become Mayor of Fredericton, carrying on a tradition of public life and gracious entertaining. This Second Empire home’s carriage house is essentially a scaled-down version of the main building, with its similar windows, mansard roof and siding/trim materials, and is a wonderful example of Fredericton’s late 19th-century carriage houses which mimic their “parent” homes.
The house is now the Carriage House Inn, the largest B&B in Fredericton and is owned by Innkeepers Jamie and Natalie Jardine. The stylized “B” etched on the front door window remains as a memory of the original owners.
This post has already been read 913 times!Follow Us on Social Media