Chestnut House

Of Chestnut Canoe distinction, this eclectic hip-roofed house, located at 132 Waterloo Row in Fredericton, was built for company owner Harry Chestnut and his wife Annie in 1902, quite possibly by R. Chestnut & Sons, who were “Builders and Contractors” in addition to hardware merchants. 

The foremost attributes of Chestnut House are undoubtedly the full-height columns with unusual “mini-columned” capitals and the pair of decorated dormers. Custom woodwork and luxurious brass hardware enrich the spacious interior, while the upper front balcony’s floor deck is covered with – what else – canoe canvas. 

Chestnut House

Amazingly, only recently has the original boiler system been replaced, which had heated the building ever since it was built.

chestnut canoe 1904

Chestnut Canoe Factory

Chestnut Canoe Factory York St

Harry Chestnut P474-24
Harry Chestnut standing in an 18-foot sponson canoe, fitted with a 2HP St. Lawrence engine, from the Chestnut Canoe Company in Fredericton, 1913. 

This post has already been read 998 times!

Follow Us on Social Media

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *