The Chris Whalen Residence in Boiestown or Whalen’s Hotel, is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its association with its first resident Christopher Whalen and for its associative historical significance within the community.
The Chris Whalen Residence is the finest example of Gothic Revival architecture within the area. It is believed to have been constructed about 1865 by Mr. Whalen, who was a blacksmith by trade, and by local carpenter Mr. Cameron. Whalen operated a stage coach stop here and took overnight guests. Whalen’s Hotel was also a terminus for the transient lumberman and log drivers from the upper reaches of the Miramichi River’s tributaries following the season’s end.
During the heyday of lumbering, Boiestown carried a “rough and tumble” reputation that has been immortalized in poem and song.
Whalen’s Hotel was known as a gathering place where woodsmen would challenge their brute strength in boxing matches within the place’s barn in an area cordoned off with a multicolored pennant. Mr. Whalen also operated a grocery store and post office from a one and a half story structure alongside the home.
Following his death in 1893, his children continued to operate the grocery store. Grandson Joe Whalen operated the post office from there following WWII until his untimely death in 1954.
This post has already been read 1304 times!