The Church of Saint-Anthony-the-Hermit in the Village of Saint-Antoine, is designated as a local heritage site for its value with regards to the determination for a permanent religious aspect in the village, by building a large stone church in 1923. Since then, the Church of Saint-Antoine-the-Hermit remains the tallest and most dominant structure in the village.
In 1919, it was decided that a new church would be built to accommodate an increasing congregation. R. Fréchette, Architect, and Father Philippe Hébert of Notre-Dame, drew the plans for the largest stone church of that time.
Under the direction of Father Allain, stones began being transported from the quarry in Notre-Dame, in 1920. No less than 1,500 loads of stones were needed to erect the Church in 1923. The structure measures 158 feet in length by 60 feet in width and it’s steeple stands 140 feet high.
Click on a thumbnail to see more photos
Resource: Village of Saint-Antoine
This post has already been read 1181 times!