Nicolas Denys visited the Acadian coastal area in 1632 and accosted in a bay where he found an abundance of seafood and game; he named this place Cocagne. In 1767, the first Acadian families became established there and received their title deeds in 1772. They became the first Acadians to possess land after the Deportation, in the present limits of the province of New Brunswick.
One of the first settlers, Joseph Guéguen, was more educated than others and became known as the most educated man in Acadie; he would preside at baptisms and weddings in the absence of a priest. He was himself considered as a priest.
Around 1798, the first chapel of Saint Peter was built. Construction of the second church began in 1833 and it would be replaced in 1892 by a third church which would be extended in 1900.
The parish would be served by missionaries until 1863 when a first priest was appointed; Fr. Antoine Gosselin.
In 1972, after much consideration and several studies, construction of a new church was realised under the direction of Fr. Armand LeBlanc. The official opening was held on January 7, 1973.
Saint Peter of Cocagne has always been an active parish. Over the years, several religious feasts were celebrated at the grotto as well as festivities in the surrounding community. These recreational activities brought thousands of visitors to the area and helped make Cocagne a great place to live.
Click on a thumbnail to see more photos
This post has already been read 293 times!Follow Us on Social Media