Dr. Lorne MacIntosh, a physician in the Hartland community, constructed this house between 1922 and 1923 to serve as a residence, office, and community hospital, supporting his private practice. The house is notable for its distinct architectural features, reflecting the era in which it was built, and for its contribution to the community’s well-being through its function as both a hospital and doctor’s office.
During this time, people often lived and worked in the same place due to the hazardous roads and reliance on horse-drawn carriages or sleighs for transportation. The closest hospital was 20 km away. The Edwardian era was influenced by scientific advancements made by Louis Pasteur and Florence Nightingale, who established connections between cleanliness, hygiene, ventilation, germs, and contagious diseases. This influence is evident in the house’s design, featuring easy-to-clean surfaces like hardwood maple floors, linoleum hallway flooring, painted walls and ceilings, metal furniture, white-washed kitchen cabinets, mosaic white bathroom tiles, and ceramic cast iron fixtures, with dedicated linen and broom closets.
The hospital section of the house consisted of Dr. Lorne MacIntosh’s office, a waiting room, scrub and operating room, a stairwell leading to three private rooms, and a four-bed ward. A separate, closed ward with operable pocket windows was built over the carport, attached to the house. Local folklore suggests that this ward served as a sanatorium. Ventilation was promoted by multiple functional windows and light window treatments.
The private living areas of the house showcased Edwardian influence, featuring carpeted floors, large wood beam ceilings, dark paneling, and a grand wooden circular dark stairwell with carpeting. A separate library boasted dark wood paneling, bookshelves, functional fireplaces, and operable windows shaded by a low roofline.
The house’s overall design incorporated regional natural wood elements. Beach rocks from the Saint John River were used for the second-floor den fireplace, while local wood, such as spruce for framing, birch for interior paneling, and maple for hardwood floors, was utilized extensively throughout the house. The study’s fireplace featured red brick, and the living room’s fireplace had gold brick. The house’s warm atmosphere reflected Dr. MacIntosh’s persona as a gentleman farmer, enthusiastic fisherman, and horse racing aficionado. A local contractor and co-owner of the Hartland Cement Works supplied the concrete blocks for the entire exterior structure.
This post has already been read 1304 times!