Peter Fraser, a fur trader from Scotland, arrived in New Brunswick in 1784 and experienced prosperity. In 1791, he constructed a grand residence with a store at the upper end of Queen Street in Fredericton, naming it “Cambourne House.”
In 1893, the honorable J.J. Fraser acquired the property, leading to its renaming as Farraline Place, after the original Fraser estate in Scotland. However, Lieutenant Governor Fraser passed away in Italy in 1896. His widow, J.N. Pauletta Fraser, resided in the house until her death in 1907. In her will, she entrusted the property to trustees, with the intention of using it as a home for elderly ladies, widows, unwed mothers, and children.
While the dormers and overmantles of the windows were added in the late 19th century, the overall exterior of Farraline Place retains its Georgian/Loyalist design. The interior still exudes the elegance of the 18th century.
In 1919, the New Brunswick branch of the Kings Daughters and Sons decided to fulfill Mrs. Fraser’s wishes. In June 1921, the J.J. Fraser Farraline Home was officially opened and dedicated by Bishop Richardson of Fredericton. The home welcomed elderly individuals of both genders.
In 1988, ownership of the home was assumed by the Anglican Church Women of the Diocese of Fredericton. It was incorporated as a nonprofit company under the laws of New Brunswick, with the purpose of providing a residence for elderly citizens. The home’s operational and periodic capital costs are covered by ongoing rental income, occasional fundraising events, and kind donations accepted as charitable contributions.
Currently, the J.J. Fraser Farraline Home accommodates twenty residents, offering them a comfortable and caring environment.
This post has already been read 3010 times!