The Monument to the Founding Families of Bouctouche is a local historic place because it pays tribute to the founders of Bouctouche who arrived in 1786, namely François and Hélène LeBlanc; Charlitte and his first wife Marie LeBlanc, and his second wife Madeleine; Isidore and Rosalie Bastarache; and Joseph and Marie Bastarache. In addition to honouring these four founding families, the monument also recalls other early families in the parish.
Erected during the bicentennial commemoration of the deportation in 1954-1955, this monument is made up of a massive stone cross that came from the base of the façade of a church. The cross was designed in 1926 by Anselme Roy, an architect and entrepreneur from Bouctouche. The stones at the base of the monument indicate the origins of the region’s Acadians who came from France, Grand-Pré, Memramcook, and Bouctouche. Four dressed stone pillars and a commemorative plaque complete this imposing stone monument, which has become one of the landmarks of Bouctouche. It is located between 70 and 76 Acadie Avenue, Bouctouche.
This post has already been read 380 times!Follow Us on Social Media