Fredericton’s Old Post Office was designed by David Ewart, an architect for the Federal Department of Public Works, and was constructed between 1913 and 1916.
This sandstone structure with large two-storey ionic insert columns, assuredly Fredericton’s finest Beaux-Arts style building, represents a typical architectural approach to a mid-sized federal building during this period.
It once sported an ornately domed 100-foot high four-faced clock tower, long since dismantled for structural reasons. The building stone for the exterior came from the Quarryville quarry below Newcastle on the Southwest Miramichi River.
This post has already been read 651 times!Follow Us on Social Media