Remarkably well-proportioned, this house, located at 704 George Street, is a fine example of Classical Revival domestic architecture with its decoratively bracketed gable eaves and a handsome entry portico featuring panelled double doors flanked by sturdy pilasters topped by heavy coiled brackets and entablature with three rosettes above the transom.
Built between 1866 and 1872 – probably by carpenter James R. Breen – it was bought for $1250 on September 2, 1872 by lumber dealer and “trader” George Cliff, who resold it 18 days later for a profit of $250.
Most of the shed-type roof dormers and rear constructions are later additions. Note the resemblance to 725 George Street across the street.
This post has already been read 477 times!Follow Us on Social Media