Fluted Doric pilasters embellish one of Fredericton’s most inspired Greek Revival porticos at the front entrance of this handsome corner house located at 203 Regent Street, characteristic of early 19th century Fredericton homes with its gabled roof, hand-planed wood shingle cladding, and 6 over 6 single hung windows.
It was built in 1833 for Loyalist descendant George Turner, a waggoner who operated a stagecoach from Fredericton to Saint John, and his wife Catherine.
By 1868 this Neoclassical house was owned by Dr. Hiram Dow, a surgeon and member of the Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick.
Renovations took place around 1880 including raising the roof and adding another storey to the back wing.
This post has already been read 757 times!Follow Us on Social Media