The George Weldon Residence, 22 Queen Square South in Saint John is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with its former occupants.
The George Weldon Residence is recognized for being one of nine residences on the south side of Queen Square that forms an interesting architectural and harmonious streetscape. Queen Square South displays possibly the best array of architectural styles in Saint John that remain intact with respect to their original condition. The block face of nine buildings displays Italianate, Second Empire, Queen Anne Revival, Neo-Gothic, Craftsman and Bungalow styles that have construction dates ranging from circa 1878 to 1916. The George Weldon Residence is a unique example of brick Neo-Gothic residential architecture from this period in Saint John.
The George Weldon Residence is also recognized for its association with George Cathwart Weldon. He entered the clothing manufacturing business of S. Hayward and Company in 1875. He had this residence built in 1890 and he remained in it until 1901. Upon Hayward’s death in 1905, Weldon became the president of S. Hayward and Company, a position he held until he died in 1928.
The George Weldon Residence is also recognized for its association with James Pender and Talmage Fenwick. James Pender lived in this residence from 1902 until about 1917. James Pender and E. R. Moore began manufacturing cut nails in 1873. After the Great Saint John Fire of 1877, Pender started manufacturing horse nails on his own account. He used the Dodge Forging Machine. About 1890, an improved wire nail was developed and the James Pender Nail Company was organized for the manufacture of this improved nail. This nail was trade marked under the name “Bull Dog,” and it totalled over 25% of the total Canadian business within the first year of its manufacture. In 1903, the James Pender Nail Company was turning out 15 tons of nails per day and employed nearly 100 men.
Talmadge S. Fenwick had the longest occupancy of this residence. He lived in it from about 1930 until the late 1970’s. The Fenwick Cheese Stall that opened in Saint John’s historic City Market in 1885 was formed by Talmadge’s uncle, Wilfred Fenwick. In 1920, he took over the business, specializing in old cheese. Due to his love for Fenwick’s cheese, Lord Beaverbrook had it shipped wherever he went. After nearly 100 years, T. S. Fenwick Ltd. left City Market in 1981.
This post has already been read 298 times!Follow Us on Social Media