Glass insulators were initially manufactured in the 1850s for use with telegraph lines. As technology evolved, insulators became essential for telephone lines, electrical power lines, and various other applications. In the mid-1960s, a handful of enthusiasts began collecting these vintage glass insulators. Today, the community of insulator collectors has grown to over 3,000 individuals.
The production of glass insulators initially started in the 1850s, coinciding with the advent of telegraph lines. With the progression of technology, the application of insulators expanded to include telephone and electrical power lines, among others. By the mid-1960s, vintage glass insulators had attracted a niche group of collectors. This community has since grown, now encompassing over 3,000 members.
Collectors highly prize insulators with rich hues, including purples, blues, and ambers. Interestingly, it was the unexpected allure of these coloured insulators to insects that led to the cessation of their production.
Historically, insulators were produced in a variety of colours. However, around 1945, manufacturers transitioned towards using clear or nearly clear glass. This was partly due to customers’ concerns that the coloured insulators enticed insects, providing an attractive nesting site under the partially shaded skirts. This infestation compromised the insulating efficiency of the insulator skirts. By 1959, insulator production had aligned with the manufacturing of other glass products such as tumblers and bottles, all crafted from the same clear glass batch.
This post has already been read 2333 times!