Grande-Digue is a 10-minute drive from Shediac, 15 minutes from Bouctouche, 20 minutes from Moncton, and about an hour from Kouchibouguac National Park. Following the expulsion of the Acadians in 1755, many Acadians found refuge in Grande-Digue. They did not receive land grants until 1791.
The community is predominantly Acadian in culture, and Acadian French is the most widely spoken language. However, due to the large number of summer tourists and cottagers, English is also spoken by virtually the entire population.
The Pioneers Museum in Grande-Digue was founded in 1988 in response to the desire of people who asked for a place to preserve their artifacts.
The first building was a chapel in memory of the one built in 1788 near the coast. Then the museum acquired and renovated a school (1880), a barn (1890) and a lighthouse (1912).
These heritage buildings allow it to preserve and display the artifacts of our pioneers. The pioneers were Acadians who, 20 years after the Great Uprising of 1755, were still looking for land to settle.
The Historical Society of Grande-Digue Inc. was founded and incorporated in 1978.
The Church of the Visitation is probably the oldest wooden church still being used in New Brunswick. The famous church bell (named Mary), weighing 1,351 lbs., was purchased in 1865.
Grande-Digue is surrounded by rivers and these are among the warmest in the North Atlantic. Boat trips, rental of kayaks and windsurfing, swimming or hiking on the beach make it a popular summer vacation location.
The parish of Grande-Digue is officially twinned with the parish of Saint James, Louisiana.
Click on a thumbnail to see more photos
Village of Grande-Digue
This post has already been read 928 times!Follow Us on Social Media