Harvey Atkinson Home – Moncton

The Harvey Atkinson Home at 169 Botsford Street in Moncton is designated a Local Historic Place for being a good example of Queen Anne architecture in Moncton and for its association with its former occupants. 

The Queen Anne architectural style is apparent in the asymmetrical layout, the multi-tiered gables and the variety of window shapes. The single storey and 2-storey box windows break up the wall surfaces, adding to the overall texture of the building. The interior still exhibits well-preserved woodwork, fireplaces and elaborate staircase.

Since its construction in 1890, this residence has been a lauded residential property in Moncton. In 1892, the residence was featured in a special edition on Moncton in the Saint John Daily Sun. It was later featured as a prime residence in the 1915 publication of “Moncton: The City of Opportunity”. 

Harvey Atkinson Home - Moncton

169 Botsford Street is also recognized for its association with some of its former occupants. The original owner, Harvey Atkinson, was a prominent Moncton barrister, a former alderman, Mayor of Moncton in 1901 and an industrialist. One of his more significant ventures was as a Director of N. B. Petroleum Company that drilled for oil in the Memramcook Valley in 1901.

Adelbert Cavour Chapman, and subsequent members of his estate, occupied this residence from 1890 until 1943. This business and industry leader was also an alderman and former mayor of Moncton in 1896 and 1920-1921. He featured prominently in Moncton’s economic growth around the turn of the 20th century. He was owner of the New Brunswick Anchor Wire Fence Company, an original Director of the Central Trust Company Limited and one of the incorporators of the Petitcodiac Hydro Development Company. His influence in Moncton was not limited to business and industry, as he was a former Chair of the Moncton Hospital Board of Trustees.

Both Chapman and Atkinson will be forever linked in the history of Moncton’s municipal politics. During municipal elections in 1894, the vote for Alderman-at-Large resulted in a rare tie between the two gentlemen. The City Clerk cast the deciding vote in favour of Chapman.

Follow MyNB on Social Media

You might also like:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enter the code below *