Horatio Nelson Drake built this house, located at 340 Brunswick Street, in 1841. He was the captain of the St. John River steamboat “[sg_popup id=”4″ event=”click”]Reindeer[/sg_popup]” which contained the first compound marine engine, invented in Fredericton by Benjamin Tibbits and built in a local foundry.
There is much fine woodcarving throughout the house, as well as exquisite carved panels on both sides of the exterior front entrance. In 1846 Drake sold the house for seven times its original cost.
This post has already been read 59 times!Follow MyNB on Social Media