This extensive house was built on land purchased from Elizabeth Odell, widow of William Odell, by Jesse W. Tabor around 1900.
Tabor owned a gristmill behind City Hall and was a partner in the Tabor and O’Neill planing and molding mill on nearby King Street. The mill was eventually bought out by the Chestnut brothers and became the original Chestnut canoe factory.
R.L. Phillips bought the house in 1911 and operated an automobile garage out of the barn during WWI.
The building is the best example of a connected residence/outbuilding/barn structure in the City, and possesses engaging elements such as a Front gable Palladian window, an ornate wraparound porch, and livestock stalls in the barn.
This post has already been read 826 times!Follow Us on Social Media