In 1854, John Saunders Flood sold the property situated at 197 University Avenue in Fredericton to William Grosvenor. Following the purchase, the house was constructed and subsequently occupied by John and James Fowler, who acquired the property in 1857. Notably, the house’s design features a modest gabled structure, a side entrance, and ornamental elements akin to a nearby residence built by James Fowler.
The patriarch of the Grosvenor family, Samuel Grosvenor, originally hailed from Vermont and arrived in Fredericton around 1795. Tragically, he passed away in 1825, leaving behind a legacy that included 11 children: Sophia, Hannah, Maria, William, Elizabeth, Charles, Samuel Frasier (1812-1882), Mary (1814-1877), Joseph (1815-1816), George (1818-1890), and Jane, who unfortunately passed away during infancy.
William Grosvenor himself held a prominent position as the proprietor of the leading dry goods store on Queen Street, situated opposite Officers Square, during his era. Following his demise, his widow returned to Scotland with their young sons, Joseph P. (born in 1851) and William S., seeking the support of her family.
This post has already been read 1790 times!