Kingston Historic District, a rare example of a rural centre that has existed since the late 18th century, is purposefully situated on a steep knoll at crossroads formed by Routes 845 and 850 on the Kingston Peninsula, in Kingston. In 2000, Kingston Historic District was designated a historic district under the Province of New Brunswick’s Historic Sites Protection Act. The village was settled in 1783 by Loyalists at the conclusion of the American Revolution.
Kingston Historic District includes six discontinuous properties on which are sited five buildings, including: Trinity Anglican Church dated 1789, and its rectory dated 1788 (National Historic Sites of Canada), MacDonald Consolidated School dated 1910, Union House dated 1788 and Carter House dated 1810.
The John Fisher Memorial Museum was established in 1982 and depicts many of the aspects of life on the Kingston Peninsula. From Wolastoqiyik basket work to the tools and clothing of early settlers the museum displays many local artifacts. Each year the summer exhibit portrays topics of local interest including history and local artists. The museum is named in honour of John Fisher, a celebrated CBC broadcaster and publicist.
There is also a popular farmers market in Kingston which draws buyers from such areas as Quispamsis and Rothesay.
The Kings County Gaol was once located in the community but it was moved to nearby Hampton one stone at a time.
The District is recognized for being a rare surviving example of a rural village exemplifying rural Loyalist architecture and settlement in New Brunswick and which has served the spiritual, commercial and educational needs of the surrounding area since the 1780s.
All of the important buildings befitting a community’s social centre are still present. The prominent position of the church is a key element to the Kingston Historic District, with its spire, at the highest point of the district.
The heritage value of Kingston Historic District is also recognized in the level of preservation of its layout and many of its original buildings, some of which continue their original functions.
Click on a thumbnail to see more photos and learn their history.
This post has already been read 2790 times!Follow Us on Social Media