A First Nations Longhouse is under construction on the Green in Fredericton beside the Beaverbrook Art Gallery.
In the spirit of unity and solidarity, the Wolastoq Nations at Madawaska, Tobique, Woodstock, Kingsclear, St.Mary’s, Oromocto and the Wolastoq Grand Council are in union to endorse Peace and Friendship with their allies.
Longhouses were built by native peoples in various parts of North America, sometimes reaching over 100 m (330 ft) in length but generally around 5 to 7 m (16 to 23 ft) wide. The dominant theory is that walls were made of sharpened and fire-hardened poles (up to 1,000 saplings for a 50 m (160 ft) house) driven into the ground and the roof consisted of leaves and grass. Strips of bark were then woven horizontally through the lines of poles to form more or less weatherproof walls, with doors usually both ends of the house covered with an animal hide to keep warm, although doors also were built into sides of especially long longhouses. Longhouses featured fireplaces that kept them warm. On top of the longhouses they made holes to keep the smoke out so they didn’t lose oxygen.
This post has already been read 1099 times!Follow Us on Social Media