Maudie’s Tea Room was built in 1921 for Mr. J. Ralph Hayden and his wife, the former Alice Maude Brown.
This house, located at 103 Grover Street in Woodstock, suffered a serious basement fire the following year and some of the charred beams are still visible.
In 1927 Mrs. Hayden opened a tea room, which she ran until her death in 1945. Originally called “Sunset Porch” it later became known as “Maudie’s Tea Room” and eventually as the “Pastel Shade Tea Room”.
In July of 1932 the Rt. Hon.William Lyon MacKenzie King, then leader of the opposition in the Canadian House of Commons had dinner there while visiting New Brunswick.
The house was sold by the Hayden family in 1947 and has remained in the Stewart family ever since.
This post has already been read 250 times!Follow Us on Social Media