At 200 meters, this is the longest suspension footbridge in New Brunswick, spanning the Southwest Miramichi at McNamee, approximately 12 km west of Doaktown.
Constructed in 1938, the footbridge (which originally had a single span and was constructed of wood) was destroyed during the spring freshet of 1939, with three lives being lost. To read an article on the footbridge tragedy, click here.
A second bridge was built in 1939. This bridge was replaced by a third footbridge in 1988. The two latter bridges, unlike the original, used two spans to cross the river.
The bridge is shared by both Priceville and McNamee, and is therefore known as the “Priceville Footbridge” to residents of Priceville, and the “McNamee Footbridge” to residents of McNamee. Although both communities use it, it is officially known as the McNamee Footbridge, although the signs posted on the bridge refer to “Priceville.” Regardless of name, the footbridge is a very important piece of history in this part of the Miramichi and is also an extremely popular starting point for the many “river runs” that take place during the summer and early fall.
The bridge is provincially owned and maintained by the New Brunswick Department of Transportation.
Directions: Exit Route 8 at the Holt Road; follow the Holt Road for approximately 1.4 km before turning right on the Carrolls Crossing Road. Follow that road for approximately 0.6 km, then on to the McNamee Road.
This post has already been read 1539 times!Follow Us on Social Media