Music at Université de Moncton

Université de Moncton Campus

Music at Université de Moncton

Established in 1864 in Memramcook, the University St-Joseph transitioned into the Université de Moncton in 1963, relocating to Moncton nearly a century after its founding.

Neil J. Michaud (born October 14, 1927, in Edmundston) played a pivotal role in creating the Department of Music and served as its director until 1970. He was succeeded by Brian Ellard (1970–78), Donald Desroches (1978–81), and Martin J. Waltz (1981–87). Claudette Melanson took over the role in 1987. Gaston Allaire, who instructed at the department from 1967 to 1984, became a professor emeritus. 

Arthur LeBlanc
Arthur LeBlanc

In 1972, the École Notre-Dame-d’Acadie affiliated with the Université de Moncton as a preparatory music school. The resident quartet, Quatuor Arthur-LeBlanc, was established in 1988 and remained in residence for many years before relocating to Université Laval in 2005. 

The department provides a general Baccalaureate in music and a Baccalaureate in music with majors in music education, performance, pedagogy, history, harmony, and counterpoint. Instruction is conducted exclusively in French.

During the 2013–14 academic year, the department employed 10 regular teachers, many of whom held master’s degrees in music, and enrolled around 60 students. The department’s main activities include the choir (see Chorale de l’Université de Moncton), opera studio, annual percussion concert, and staff and student concerts. Monique Richard currently serves as the director.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »