The North Head Show Hall was located directly on the roadside of Route 776 on Grand Manan Island, about 0.8 km from the ferry terminal. It consisted of a one-and-a-half storey vernacular Classical Revival institutional building with a front-facing gable roof and shingle cladding.
In 1866, a group of residents calling themselves the “Glass Eye Society” came together and purchased the land for a public hall and school. The land was purchased from Ebenezer and Sarah Gaskill for $30.00.
Over the years, the building has been used as a theatre, Show Hall, a community hall and a temporary school. In 1976, the building was turned over to the community of North Head.
Around 1980, a provincial satellite court was established here. When there were no court meetings, the building was a community gathering place for AA meetings, seasonal farmers markets and was available to rent for special events.
The North Head Show Hall has been sold and repurposed as “The BIG House”.
Grand Manan Archives – Local Historic Places files
This post has already been read 1168 times!