The Powell Block is recognized for its prominent location in the business area of Sackville, at the intersection of three major streets, and for the long association of the building with both the legal profession and the banking business. The location also represents the site of the second of four Methodist churches in Sackville.
Henry A. Powell graduated from Mount Allison University in 1875 and became a barrister in 1880.
Looking for suitable office space, he planned the construction of Powell Block.
Powell Block was built in 1886-1887 as a distinctive three storey brick building in the Italianate style. Renovations in 1930 changed the entrance to the building and the stairway to the upper floors to gain entrance to the Law offices, at that site for over seventy-five years. The staircase was included in a new section to the building that filled in the 9 foot gap between this building and the Wood Block.
Powell Block is also recognized for its tenants. The ground floor tenant was The Merchant Bank of Halifax. It became the Royal Bank of Canada in 1901. The second floor was set aside for Henry A. Powell law offices and the third floor available for the social activities of numerous Sackville lodges. In 1909, when the Royal Bank moved into another building across the street, the Bank of Nova Scotia acquired the ground floor and they remained at this site until 1978.
This post has already been read 864 times!Follow Us on Social Media