Robbie Burns

Robbie Burns Portrait

Robbie Burns

Robert Burns, born on January 25, 1759, and passed away on July 21, 1796, also known by various names such as Robbie Burns, Rabbie Burns, Scotland’s favourite son, the Ploughman Poet, Robden of Solway Firth, the Bard of Ayrshire, and simply as The Bard in Scotland, was an esteemed Scottish poet and lyricist. Renowned as Scotland’s national poet, Burns is celebrated globally. His works, primarily in the Scots language, also include writings in English and a light Scots dialect, making them accessible to a wider audience. He occasionally wrote in standard English, notably employing it for political and civil commentary.
Robbie Burns Statue

As a pioneering figure in the Romantic movement, Burns has posthumously inspired many advocates of liberalism and socialism. In Scotland and among the Scottish Diaspora around the world, he is revered as a cultural icon. His legacy grew immensely in the 19th and 20th centuries, attaining almost a cult-like status, and his influence continues to resonate in Scottish literature. In a 2009 STV poll, Burns was declared the greatest Scot by the public.

Apart from composing original works, Burns was an ardent collector and reviser of Scottish folk songs. His poem “Auld Lang Syne” is a customary song for Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve), and “Scots Wha Hae” was once considered an informal national anthem of Scotland.

In New Brunswick, the Scottish legacy is notably deep-rooted. The earliest settlement, Kincardine, dates back to 1873. The establishment of the Scots-Canadian settlement of New Kincardineshire was a pivotal moment, attracting widespread attention in New Brunswick. It signified a major wave of immigration, only surpassed by the influx of the United Empire Loyalists, in the history of New Brunswick.

Robbie Burns Statue by moonlight

The Fredericton Society of Saint Andrew was founded in 1825 and ever since, has been serving the interests of supporting the Scottish  component of New Brunswick’s  cultural mosaic. 

This bronze plaque is on the side of the Burns statue. Photo by Harold A. Skaarup‎.
This bronze plaque is on the side of the Burns statue. Photo by Harold A. Skaarup‎.

In 1906 the Society sponsored the erection  of the Robbie Burns statue in Fredericton, on the Green by  the banks of the Saint John River, close to the Provincial Legislative building.

Robbie Burns Statue at sunrise

Many years ago, behind the Burns statue the Bicycle and Boating Club was located on The Green. It was later renamed the Automobile and Boating Club.

auto boat club
Photo from the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick, Babbit Collection.

fton auto boat clubBoat Club House Post Card

Thanks to Kelsey Goodine for sending us her sunrise shot of the Burns Statue.

This post has already been read 5235 times!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »