Ronald Campbell House in Sackville is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with the Campbell family.
In 1850, the first property in Middle Sackville was purchased by Ronald Campbell. The white clapboard house was built around that time in the Greek Revival style. It is a good example of this style, featuring returned eaves, a gable roof and overall symmetry. Several additions that have been made throughout the house to accommodate the family adhere to the original style of the house.
Ronald Campbell started working as a carpenter for the firm of John Humphrey and John Morice in Middle Sackville upon his arrival in the Sackville area in 1823 from Cornwallis, Nova Scotia. Ronald and son George began their Carriage Factory business in 1854 and a few years later opened up a blacksmith shop.
George Campbell and Sons Limited acquired the funeral business of F.M. Brown Funeral Homes Limited, of Amherst, in 1936. This business is still in the Campbell family. The descendants of the original owner still occupy this house and have remained active in the community.
This post has already been read 775 times!Follow Us on Social Media