The Sackville cenotaph is located in the centre of Memorial Park at the corner of Bridge and Weldon Streets. Originally developed in 1910 as a Town park, with the addition of the cenotaph in 1922 it was designated as the town’s “Memorial Park.”
The memorial stands 20 feet high and is of New Brunswick grey granite, in the shape of a Celtic cross. Originally designed to commemorate the 35 who fell in the First World War (1914-1918), the names of the fallen are inscribed on the four faces of the base of the memorial. The cenotaph was dedicated on 1 October 1922.
After the Second World War (1939-1945) a bronze plaque was added on the south face of the monument with the names of the 35 who fell in that conflict. Finally a small plaque was added with the names of the two who gave their lives in the Korean Conflict (1950-53).
Originally the cenotaph stood on a mound in the centre of the park and was approached by a set of steps. Because of the danger of flooding the level of the whole park was raised bringing it level with the base of the monument thus eliminating the need for the steps.
During World War II the cenotaph was flanked by two field guns. Later these were replaced by a military vehicle of the type used in peace-keeping operations.
In 2010 a Memorial Garden was added at the east side of the park on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Navy.
The garden includes a plaque commemorating the connection between the Town of Sackville and HMCS Sackville.
In 2014 a memorial to the Royal Canadian Air Force was added to the garden.
This post has already been read 805 times!Follow Us on Social Media