The heritage value of Saint Andrew’s Anglican Church Miramichi lies in its architecture and its spiritual contribution to the local area. The carpenter gothic structure, designed after Aghavallen Church in County Kerry, was completed in 1850 under the instruction of Rev. James Hudson (Father Hudson) and consecrated by Bishop Medley. Father Hudson had been involved in the erection and completion of churches in the outlying area with Saint Andrew’s being his last effort.
One of the oldest churches in the area, the small adjoining cemetery is the resting place of several prominent early pioneers to the area.
Over the years, some noted people have visited and worshipped here including the Duke of Devonshire, Lord Bessborough and Gov. Gen. Lord and Lady Bing.
The Church is designated a local Historic place.
Click on a thumbnail to see more pictures
This post has already been read 2368 times!