Built in 1934, Saint-Basile Church is a rectangular brick church inspired by the Gothic Revival style with two bell towers on the façade. It is located on Principale Street in Saint-Basile.
Saint-Basile Church is designated a Local Historic Place for its location, its architecture, and its locally designed interior elements.
The heritage value of the Saint-Basile Church lies in the fact that it was built on the site of two previous churches dating back to 1792. The site is located in the first parish of Madawaska, and the third oldest parish in New Brunswick.
Heritage value is also associated with its Gothic Revival inspired architecture. Although the bishop at the time, Msgr. Patrice-Alexandre Chiasson, wanted to preserve the modest exterior appearance of the preceding church for historical reasons, he approved the construction of two bell towers in the design of the new church. This created a more grandiose Gothic Revival appearance.
Significant elements of the interior include the Stations of the Cross, the baptistery, and the pulpit sculpted by artist Claude J. Thériault, a native of Saint-Basile.
This post has already been read 69 times!Follow Us on Social Media