Constructed in 1787, Smyth House, situated at 744 King Street in Fredericton, along with the property at 752 King Street, exemplifies the two primary architectural styles prevalent in New Brunswick during the 18th century.
Smyth House, a humble edifice with its simple roof eaves and practical window layout, personifies the urgent need for basic housing of the Loyalists who had recently arrived. However, it doesn’t display the refined elegance of the nearby John Saunders House, constructed roughly ten years later.
The Smyth House is recognized as a “Hall/Parlour House” due to its distinctive main floor layout, which comprises a front parlor and a back “hall” or kitchen. Additional areas, like the summer kitchen and the side wing, were annexed at a later stage. The foundation, made from fieldstone, has mortar only in its top sections, while the lower basement foundation is loosely arranged and porous, allowing water from the annual spring floods to seep through. This is a common characteristic of older houses in the downtown region.
The current owner has painstakingly restored the house, ensuring to preserve signs of its two-hundred-year evolution. This includes several layers of wallpaper, signatures of craftsmen etched into the plaster, and an assortment of salvaged items, such as the original trim, windows, and shutters.
This post has already been read 2329 times!