Smythe Street School was built in 1914 at the corner of Smythe and Saunders Streets, with 8 rooms plus a second-floor auditorium. It provided Grades 1 to 8 classes for students from the western, or up-river, part of Fredericton until 1956, then became a Grades 1 to 6 school.
Its role as an elementary school ended very abruptly one day, in 1988, when a major structural problem was found in the building. A few years later, after proper repairs were made, it became part of the Fredericton Campus of the New Brunswick Community College. It still fulfils this role.
This post has already been read 1538 times!Follow Us on Social Media