St. James the Greater Anglican Church in Ludlow was built in 1887. It is designated a Local Historic Place for its religious architecture for its spiritual impact within the community.
Bishop John Medley, New Brunswick’s first Anglican Bishop, was keen to ecclesiastical architecture and was responsible for the construction of more than one hundred churches of this architectural style within the province over a span of forty seven years.
Reverend James Hudson, a missionary who came to the Miramichi area in the 1830’s , was instrumental in the construction of many of the Anglican churches along the watershed, all bearing similar architectural design, under Bishop Medley’s direction. Reverend James Hudson died in 1881. Construction of St. James the Greater Anglican Church occurred in 1887 and was dedicated as a memorial to Reverend James Hudson.
As was customary of the time, a special train was sent from Fredericton to carry the Diocese Bishop Medley and others for the Consecration Service on Saturday, July 9, 1887. The land on which the church stand was given by Mrs. John Murphy Sr., nee Ellen Price.
Also of historic significance is the Lynch Gate located on the church front grounds. This is one of three such structures located within the Anglican churches in New Brinswick. It was customary at a funeral for the casket and procession to wait here, outside the gate, to be led into the church by the attending minister.
This post has already been read 1071 times!