Church history was made on Grand Manan on September 4, 1949 when the first Bishop, the Most Reverend B.A. Bray, Bishop of Saint John celebrated the first mass in St. Michael The Archangel Church.
St. Michael The Archangel Church is located half way between North Head and Grand Harbour. The property was purchased in 1947 and the church was built in 1949. This beautiful little church was constructed by Amos Chaisson, a carpenter from Saint John and completed in two months.
The belfry of St. Michael The Archangel Church is surmounted by a white cross. The altar in the church was the one used when mass was celebrated for the first time in July 1947. At that time, Rev. A.J. Gilbert, Chancellor of the Diocese attended to the mission and officiated at mass once a month for men working at a nearby hotel.
The Stations of the Cross purchased by the parishioners and summer residents were blessed and erected and devotions concluded with the Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament at with Msgr. Cronin officiated.
To this day, Mass is still celebrated at St. Michael The Archangel Church.
This post has already been read 491 times!Follow Us on Social Media