Known as “Sunbury Cottage,” the front right hand portion of this house, located at 260 University Avenue, was built around 1830 by carpenter Andrew Richey for his family. His descendant Marshall Richey was a merchant and president of the Central Fire Insurance Company and the nearby Fredericton Gas Works (located at Shore Street and University Avenue). Marshall’s daughter Elizabeth Maxwell lived here as well, enabling the property to stay in Richey’s family for the next hundred years until it was sold in 1926.
However in 1963, Andrew Richey’s great-great grand-daughter Pat Forbes bought the house and lived here until 2004, making it one of the longest “single family” lived-in houses in Fredericton.
This post has already been read 718 times!Follow Us on Social Media