Inspired by classical Greek architecture, this house features an enormous portico of six massive Ionic columns, a deeply banded entablature and pediment gable with a half-rounded window, a curved verandah and second floor balcony, bay windows, and a wonderfully detailed interior with parquet floors, beveled and stained glass, carved columns and deep-paneled wainscoting. The classical motif is reinforced by pilasters at the outside corners, along with fine brackets and dentils at the eave cornice.
Construction of the house began in 1907 for Thomas Loggie, chief draftsman of the Crown Land Office, on the present site that was formerly occupied by the house now at 221 Church Street. Photo by Larry Dickinson.
This post has already been read 825 times!Follow Us on Social Media