The Thomas Williams House in Moncton was designated as a Local Historic Place because of its association with its original owner, Thomas Williams. Thomas Williams was the Treasurer and Chief Accountant of the Intercolonial Railway of Canada (ICR) and became a leading citizen during this important industrial period of the history of Moncton.
His involvement with St. Paul’s Reformed Episcopal Church and St. John’s Presbyterian Church, as well as his active role with the YMCA, helped to strengthen the spiritual and civic communities of Moncton.
After his retirement from the ICR in 1906, his healthy attitude toward new industry garnered him positions as Chairman of the Board of City Assessors, Secretary for the Moncton Board of Trade, the New Brunswick Board of Trade and the New Brunswick Gas & Oilfields Company.
The Thomas Williams House was also designated for its Second Empire architecture, its level of preservation and its Victorian era interior design and décor. Thomas Williams built his Second Empire home in 1883 on, what were then, the outskirts of town. The construction was contracted to Moncton contractor and builder Paul Lea and the work executed by master carpenter Sam Melanson. Because the house was kept in the Williams family until the death of Dorothy Conrod, the last remaining descendent of the Williams family to occupy this residence in 1981, the house remained in good condition nearly 100 years after its construction. It was used briefly as a boarding house for soldiers during World War II.
In 1983, under the jurisdiction of The City of Moncton, The Thomas Williams House celebrated its centennial by opening its doors to the public as a museum of Victorian era artefacts, Second Empire architecture and Williams Family history. In 1996, the Thomas Williams House was designated a Heritage Property through the City of Moncton Heritage Preservation By-Law.
This post has already been read 175 times!Follow MyNB on Social Media