The initial meetings of the United Baptist Church in Woodstock were held in a downtown carpenter’s shop. Eventually, the church acquired a building close to what is now Dr. G.F. Clark’s home.
In 1858, a spacious meeting house with a vestry was built north of its current location. By 1884, the congregation had expanded to over three hundred members. Unfortunately, under Elder G. W. MacDonald’s leadership, a fire devastated this building. The original design, bearing the influence of the Gothic Revival style, was the work of D. E. Dunham, a renowned architect from Saint John.
Construction of a more expansive building soon commenced, culminating in its dedication on August 2, 1885. The church we worship in today has evolved from this structure, having undergone various expansions and renovations.
In October 1905, the Free Baptists and Baptists merged, giving birth to the United Baptist denomination. At that juncture, there were two United Baptist Churches in Woodstock: one on Main Street and the other on Albert Street. They united in 1906, with the Main Street location being the preferred site. The Albert Street church was subsequently sold, and the refurbished Main Street church was consecrated on May 25, 1908.
In 1966, a lightning strike led to the removal of the 130-foot tower, which was subsequently capped. The original tall Gothic stained-glass windows were also replaced by two intricately designed memorial stained-glass windows.
Under Dr. Henry Allaby’s leadership, the Christian Education Center was inaugurated in 1959, with a significant gymnasium as part of the new addition.
In the autumn of 1999, guided by Dr. Malcolm Card’s ministry, the Access Project was finalized, featuring the addition of an elevator and restrooms on the sanctuary floor.
By the late 1800s, multiple Baptist churches dotted the downtown area. However, in 1906, these churches united to form the Woodstock United Baptist Church and selected this building as their place of worship. This building continues to serve the congregation to this day.
Click on a thumbnail to see more photos.
This post has already been read 3578 times!