In 1902, George Barclay, Sr. and local stonemasons constructed the Victoria County Registry Office of sandstone blocks from nearby Red Rapids. The building is situated on a parcel of land facing the St. John River in the Village of Perth-Andover.
Through the course of a century, it has been an important place in the community and region. It housed various local government offices and served as the official repository for all deeds of Victoria County from 1902 to 1997.
It also housed the first bank in the area, a branch of the Peoples Bank of Halifax from 1902 to 1905 when it was taken over by the Bank of Montreal.
Provincial Historic Sites
This post has already been read 417 times!Follow Us on Social Media