Across the road from Old Government House in Fredericton is Wilmot Park, a time-honored public park and green space. In 1860, William H. Odell offered 20 acres of his land to the City to develop as a park or pleasure ground. The Wilmot Park Bandstand still remains today.
The park was officially inaugurated on August 6, 1860, by the visiting Prince of Wales, who later became King Edward VII. Despite its formal opening, the park largely stayed as an unadorned meadow and pasture until Edward H. Wilmot bought it in 1894. The following year, Wilmot bequeathed the park back to the City, generously providing an endowment for its maintenance.
The scenic Wilmot Park Bandstand, a long-standing centerpiece for social gatherings in Fredericton, underwent a restoration process in 2003, renewing its charm and appeal.
This post has already been read 2935 times!