In 1843, Hugh Moore, an educator, secured a lease for the plot located at 199 St. John Street, with the intention to build Moore House, an appealing and proportionate residence. Prior to his relocation to Fredericton, Moore served as a private tutor in Ireland. In Fredericton, he assumed the position of headmaster at the Madras School, a privately funded institution that received financial support via monetary donations and land contributions throughout the 19th century. The school was situated at 672 King Street in Fredericton.
By the mid-1930s, the two-story educational structure had been converted into a duplex apartment, effectively turning it into a residential property. Eventually, this building was demolished to pave the way for the construction of a government edifice.