Snuggled between two placid rivers, the Miramichi and Bartholomew in the heart of New Brunswick, is the little Village of Blackville. It has the most famous streams in North America running through it.
Blackville was long settled before it received its name. It was believed to be settled right after Northumberland County was established and at the same time New Brunswick was separated from Nova Scotia in 1784. Many Loyalists, dissatisfied with their land grants, moved from the Saint John and Nashwaak Rivers in 1785-1787.
The first to come was Alexander Underwood, a sea captain of Yorkshire, England who took part in the Revolutionary War. After the war was over, Captain Underwood was trekking his way through the wilds of New Brunswick by way of the Miramichi with every intention of returning to his native land, when by chance he met a fair lady, by the name of Nancy McGraw, fell in love, married and settled in Blackville.
The Parish of Blackville was established in 1830 and was named after the Honourable William Black, administrator for the Government of New Brunswick. Colonel Black was commander-in-chief of New Brunswick from 1829-1831. He was born in 1770 and was the 4th mayor of Saint John. He died January 17, 1866 aged 96 years. He had three sons and three daughters. He was given two grants of land on the Miramichi each containing 1,000 acres and it was during this time when he resigned in Blackville that Blackville got it’s name.
Residents of Blackville and its surrounding communities have a very proud and rich history of rising to the call of service to their country.
During times of war, hundreds of men and women from our community entered the ranks of our Armed Forces to defend our great country. Their actions would secure our freedom and, in turn, set the course of history. They responded in very large numbers, leaving the comforts of home and family to serve in foreign lands facing untold dangers. Many were either killed in action or shed their blood in order to ensure our freedom.
The first doctor in Blackville was an English Army doctor by the name of William Idear. In the late 1700’s, he was given a grant of 125 acres for his services rendered in the British army. The doctor settled on a small island which is now known as “Doctor’s Island”. Dr. Idear made his own medicines from the many wild herbs that he grew on the island. In the mid to late 1900’s a botanist visited the island and found at least 170 different kinds of herbs growing there.
Blackville’s main industry for over 150 years was lumbering. Two Scotsman, Doak and Alexander MacLaggan arrived in Blackville and built a sawmill in 1820. It was located on the north side of the Bartholomew River, now the site of the Blackville Municipal Park. In the 1840’s, across from the sawmill on the opposite side of the river, a water driven Grist Mill opened and was operated by an Englishman named Henry Steele. Farmers would plant their own wheat and have it ground into flour at the mill. The Grist Mill closed in 1902. One of the mill’s original grinding stones currently resides in the Blackville Park.
In 1866, Blackville was a lumbering and farming settlement with about 20 families. In 1871 it had a population of 450. In 1898, Blackville was a station on the Canada Eastern Railway and a junction of the Intercolonial Railway with 1 post office, 5 stores, 2 hotels, 2 sawmills, 1 woodworking factory, 2 churches and a population of 600, and included the settlements of Underhill, Breadalbane and The Forks. Blackville was incorporated as a village in 1966, annexing the neighbouring communities of Underhill and Breadalbane in the process.
In 1893, Alexander Gibson took over the sawmill and also built a Steam Mill. Archibald Alcorn, Sr., was the Gibson Mill’s first engineer. In 1915, Gibson sold out to the Nashwaak Pulp & Paper Company Ltd., and the mill operated until 1931 when it was destroyed by fire. A few years later, the mill site was leased to Bamford brothers from Doaktown who built and operated a mill for several years. Miramichi Forest Products Ltd. acquired the site in 1958. In 1973, the mill burned down and a new one was built in the upper part of Blackville. It was completed in 1975 and employed 150 people at the mill and another 200 people in the woods. Poor lumber markets caused a shutdown in February of 1977. The mill later reopened as Blackville Lumber and operated until 2007.
Death of a young cook in a lumber camp and his burial in the forest originated the celebration myth of the Miramichi woods. Read the Legend of the Dungarvon Whooper here.
Village of Blackville
Giv’er on the River
Memories of Blackville
This post has already been read 309 times!Follow Us on Social Media