The Patrick J. Mooney Property on Orange Street in Saint John is recognized as one of a collection of Second Empire, Queen Anne Revival and Italianate buildings that were built after two thirds of the City of Saint John were destroyed by fire in 1877.
Patrick J. Mooney, along with his father, Bernard and two brothers, Edward and Michael F., constructed this residence in 1880, in addition to 75 and 79 Orange Street. All four individuals were of the firm B. Mooney & Sons, a company known for several decades as one of the foremost building firms of Saint John. The entire complex is a good example of brick Italianate multi-unit residential architecture from the rebuilding period within the Orange Street Heritage Preservation Area of Saint John. The design and elements in this building represent the will of city to rebuild, as well or better, after the fire. The use of brick sent a message that the city would be more resistant to fire in the future.
The Patrick J. Mooney Residence is also recognized for its association with the Mooney Family.
Born in County Derry, Ireland, Patrick J. Mooney came to Saint John as a child in 1862 with the rest of the Mooney family. In 1873, the firm, B. Mooney & Sons was established and began taking contracts. The first contract was for laying the foundation of the customs house in Saint John. The business continued to flourish throughout the late nineteenth century and well into the twentieth century.
The Mooney family constructed many prominent structures throughout the City and New Brunswick, including Centenary Church, the Saint John Cotton Mill, Saint Peter’s Church, the Hall Terrace, Gibson’s Cotton Mill, the Chatham Pulp Mill, King Edward School, the Bank of British North America, the Globe building, as well as several other public buildings and private dwellings.
This complex is thus one of many structures that serve as a memorial to the legacy of this illustrious family business. Mooney rented this residence to a number of prominent individuals including barrister, Frederick E. Barker and high school principal, Dr. Henry S. Bridges. Mooney moved into this residence in 1910. He remained in it until his death in 1918 while his wife and son stayed until 1926.
This post has already been read 193 times!Follow Us on Social Media